25 June 2011

Online Dating

So a few weeks later I plunked down my money (none of the good online dating sites are free) and signed up for LDS Singles and eHarmony.  I say plunked because I wasn’t exactly excited about it, but knew I had to do it.

I filled out my profile and that was it.  I was dating online.

Pathetic? Desperate? Crazy? Maybe. BUT...there has to be something said for the instant feeling of self confidence when you see that 10 boys have looked at your profile or see that some of them have sent you little messages saying they like you and that they want to chat with you and then actually ask you out!  I don’t care what anyone says, it’s a total confidence booster.  Of course you have to be patient and weed out the bad guys from the good guys. 

Fortunately, I was lucky.  The first week I happened upon a profile with a picture of a guy standing in front of what seemed to be one of my favorite places I’ve visited in Nicaragua…Lake Nicaragua!!  So, I sent him a message asking him where the picture was taken and asked if it was Lake Nicaragua.  He later replied that he wasn’t sure.

We exchanged messages a couple of times and I found out he happened to be a L.A. Faker’s (You know...this is a minor bone of contention!  I may not be all die-hard about my team, but the LAKER's are a far superior team to the misplaced Jazz, who belong in a night club because that's the only kind of dancing they do on the floor!)  basketball fan and I abhor the Fakers choosing the better team all around… the Utah Jazz. GO JAZZ!! Oh. Whoops, back on track…..So we would razz each other about both teams.  What I noticed from the exchanges was that he had a great vocabulary.  He was funny and witty and very honest. 

EHARMONY

I was still online on eHarmony and one day while I was checking my “matches” I noticed a guy named René.  His pictures looked familiar.  It was the guy from LDS Singles!! We got matched on eHarmony as well!! I didn’t say anything thinking maybe he would say something but he didn’t so one day I mentioned something about eHarmony.  I think I asked him if his name was René.  Then I asked if he noticed that we had been matched on eHarmony.  He said he knew we did.  That guy! He never said anything about it! At any rate, I think it’s pretty cool that we met on one site by ourselves and then got matched on another site. 

Anyway, the messages turned into chats and the next thing I knew, he said he was going to be in Salt Lake and would I like to go on a date!